NZ Diploma in IT Technical Support (Level 5)
This programme will prepare learners with the necessary knowledge and skills for a career in the Information Technology (IT) technical support. The learners will acquire broad vocational knowledge and practical skills, with an in-depth understanding of core and technical IT concepts. Upon completion, the graduates will be able to monitor and maintain the computer systems and networks within an organisation in a technical support role.
Graduates will have an awareness of the IT environment, appreciate the needs of users, and be able to provide IT technical support. They will also be able to demonstrate appropriate professional ethics and practices independently or as a part of a team.
Course Length – One Year including holidays (Total 50 weeks including holidays)
Total credits – 120
Programme Level – 05
General Entry Requirements
- 48 credits at NCEA Level 2 including 12 credits in English or Maori; OR
- The New Zealand Certificate in Information Technology Essentials (Level 4); OR
- A relevant qualification at NZQF Level 3 or above; OR
An interview process will be available to determine whether any specific support is required and to ensure applicants are well informed about the programme.
Alternative Entry Requirements
- Candidates who do not meet the general entry requirements but who can demonstrate an equivalent knowledge and skills through other educational attainment and/or work/life experience may be eligible for provisional entry at the discretion of the Head of Department or designated nominee.
English Language Requirements
- International students and those who do not have English as a first language must have an IELTS academic score of 6.0, with no band score lower than 5.5; or
- the New Zealand Certificate in English Language a) Level 4 (General) or (Workplace) b) Level 4 (General) or (Employment) ; or
Aim of the Course
The program aims to outcome graduates who are ready to be launched in the global and New Zealand’s information technology industry. The graduates will have the following technical and core IT skills:
- Select, install and configure IT hardware and systems software to meet organisational requirements.
- Apply a broad operational knowledge of networking, and associated services and technologies to meet typical organisational requirements.
- Configure and administer systems and applications to meet typical organisational IT support requirements.
- Apply a broad operational knowledge of database administration to meet typical organisational data storage and retrieval requirements.
- Troubleshoot and resolve a range of common system problems using appropriate tools and procedures.
- Identify common issues related to IT security and apply a range of solutions.
- Demonstrate an operational knowledge and understanding of IT service management to meet typical organisational customer service requirements.
- Apply the fundamentals of information systems concepts and practice to support and enhance organisational processes and systems.
- Apply the fundamentals of interaction design concepts and practice to enhance interface design.
- Apply the principles of software development to create simple working applications.
- Apply professional, legal, and ethical principles and practices in a socially responsible manner as an emerging IT professional.
- Apply communication, personal and interpersonal skills to enhance effectiveness in an IT role.
- Use problem-solving and decision-making techniques to provide innovative and timely Information Technology outcomes.
Graduates are prepared for employment at an entry level in:
- IT Technical Support
- IT Help Desk Support
- IT Services Support
- IT Technician
- Network support
This programme can lead to further study pathway either at a degree level qualification OR a higher level diploma programme.
This programme can lead to further study pathway;
- Diploma in Systems Administration (Level 6)
- Bachelors in IT from Griffith University - Australia
- Industry specific training and certification
- Degree level qualifications