New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4)
The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) targets ESL (English as Second Language) learners who intend to participate in further mainstream education in New Zealand. The programme aims to provide the learners with the language skills and knowledge necessary to communicate in a range of academic situations, in order to succeed in further academic programmes from the National Qualifications Framework (Level 5 or above).
The course is equivalent to the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) mid B2.
The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) will focus on the development of the four language skills – reading, writing, speaking, and listening. Each of these skills will be presented and developed in conjunction with vocabulary and grammar learning.
The course has a total of 60 credits and delivered over 18 weeks. It is scheduled from Monday to Friday, 9:00AM – 2:30PM. The lessons are delivered in a face-to-face classroom environment and will incorporate a wide range of methods, including: role plays, educational outings, individual, pair-work and group work, discussion, games, project-based learning, tasked-based learning, and media based learning.
Applicants may be admitted in the programme:
- Provided that they are 16 years of age or older; and
- Upon completing the English internal entry test, demonstrating suitability for enrolment for the programme; or
- Upon successful completion of the New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Applied) (Level 3) programme; or
- An IELTS overall band score of 5.5 with no individual band score lower than 5.0 or equivalent.
The New Zealand Certificate in English Language (Academic) (Level 4) can be used as an English entry requirement to the following ICA qualifications:
- New Zealand Diploma in Information Technology - Technical Support (Level 5)
- New Zealand Diploma in Systems Administration (Level 6)
- Diploma in Networks and Systems Administration (Level 7)
- Diploma in Electrical Engineering (Level 7)
- Diploma in Civil Engineering (Level 7)
- Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (Level 7)
- Certificate/Diploma at Level 6
- Diploma or Degree at Level 7
- Graduate Certificate or Diploma at Level 7